Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

G is for Gucup-Cakix

Another tale of myth, this one set farther into the future of our little tale. This story stars a deity of the ancient Maya. A character from their holy book, the Popul Vuh...

Poor Gucup-Cakix. The one they call Seven Macaw lays there, a fallen star, a bird that has been knocked out of his tree. The Popul Vuh tells us of the Hero Twins, and how they found Seven Macaw in his tree, pretending to be the sun. Poor Seven Macaw. Poor false sun. He is a demon of folly. He should not pretend to be the sun. The Hero Twins shot him out of his tree with their blowguns, and he fell to the ground. But he took one of the Hero Twins' arms with him with his sharp beak. The Hero Twins have stolen his eyes and his teeth, and he can no longer pretend to be the sun. Poor Seven Macaw.
But what is this? Poor Seven Macaw lays in the dirt and a stranger approaches. The stranger is cloaked in shadow, but no matter, for poor Seven Macaw is blind without his eyes. But Seven Macaw can hear.

"Help me," says Seven Macaw. "I am blind and weak, and have been knocked from my tree. Help a poor stranger! Help poor Seven Macaw!"

"I know what it is like to be knocked unfairly from your perch, wise Gucup-Cakix," said the stranger. "I will help you."

"You are very kind, stranger. You are very kind to blind, weak, shamed Seven Macaw."

The stranger set poor Seven Macaw back upon his branch in the tree.

"I do what little I can for a kindred spirit. Tell me, Seven Macaw. How would you like to be placed on a perch higher than your own? How would you like to be placed on a perch that gave you the power to take revenge on those who wronged you?"

"Oh stranger, you are most generous. I would like that very much. Very much indeed."

The stranger took Gucup-Cakix and set him upon his shoulder.

"Then come with me, little wronged demon. We have much to discuss."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much! I'm very flattered. I'll be sure to do that! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete